Monday 11 January 2016

A year since our Burma trip ❤


This time last year we were in the air on our way to Burma...I wanted to share a few memories with you as it was such an amazing experience. So amazing that we plan to go again very soon!!!!



We flew with Qatar airlines which was pretty good (well the first part of our journey from London - Doha) but the second part from Doha - Yangon was well a little less comfortable. Anyway we flew to Yangon and used this as our base. We stayed in the Panorama hotel which I would recommend to anyone wanting a central location just a walk away from the famous Scott's Market!!!!

My father was born in Burma which was our reason for visiting - a big family trip. He left when he was around 16 years old so this was the very first time he went back (he is now 68 yrs old) - both an emotional and bittersweet holiday. It was my mother's first visit as well as ours.

The food was somewhat fascinating and both scary. As I mentioned before I have a deficiency called G6PD, I'm allergic to any type of soya and in Burma they cook in both soya oil and with soya sauce! I had to everyone eat whilst I held my bowl of boiled rice!!!! We saw so many different types of food including the famous Mohinga which is served as a breakfast dish (something I used to run away from as a child) also the famous Khao swe was sold on street corners. This will never be as good as my mother's and father's, a slightly Anglo Indian version that is minus the fish sauce and shrimp paste. I am going to share these recipes later on so stay tuned....

I hope one day you get to visit the rather mysterious Burma as it is a country full of history and culture. From the famous Shwedagon Pagoda to the night markets of Yangon, to the serene Inle Lake and beautiful untouched waters of Ngwe Saung. Please feel free to contact me if you ever happen to travel to Burma - I would love to share some places we visited and help you with your itinerary... For now here are some photo memories from our trip....❤

The Burmese red banana - sweet and delicious!

Bull & Cart ride!

Mingun Bell 

Ngwe Saung

Fooling around at Scott's market

Ngwe Saung

Ngwe Saung

Ngwe Saung - beautiful and relaxing

The famous Kayan people

Elephant ride - a must but make sure it is to one of the recommended sanctuaries 

Shwedagon Pagoda

Swedagon Pagoda - beautiful at night

Inle boat tour

Huge oysters everywhere at Ngwe Saung - we didn't find a pearl :(

The seafood and fish was so fresh at Ngwe Saung!!!
If you visit Ngwe Saung you must do the walk to Lovers Island - the best sunset I have seen! ❤❤❤




No comments:

Post a Comment