Monday 29 February 2016

Baby food - Pish Pash Recipe ❤




A friend asked me the other day about food for babies. She was bored of feeding her little one the usual bought baby food and wanted to explore the world of cooking for munchkins. When I was a child my mother gave me something we call Pish Pash. It was one of my most favourite meals and to this day we still swear by it. It is an old Anglo-Indian recipe from a long time ago. She even made it for me a couple of years ago when I had jaw surgery and was on a soft food diet... I wanted to share something different with you so here is the recipe below...




Pish-Pash Recipe 

Ingredients

2 cups Basmati rice
1 cup red lentils
1 tsp turmeric
2 green cardamoms
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
600g chicken (I use with bones and remove them but you can use breast or boneless thigh fillets)
1 medium sized onion diced
1/2 tsp ginger & garlic paste
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup petit pois
1 tsbp butter for cooking or alternatively you can use olive oil
Salt to taste

Method

Fry the onion in the butter or oil until softened a little. Add the turmeric, pepper and garlic ginger paste and let this cook together for a few minutes. Add the chicken and brown nicely. Once the chicken is browned cover with water and add the cardamoms, cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Let this cook until tender and soft. 
In another cooking pot mix the rice, petit pois and lentils. Cook with water until very soft and fluffy. Drain this and keep aside. When the chicken is cooked thoroughly and breaking up remove any bones (if you have used chicken with bones and take extra care) shred the chicken and add this back to the pot. Remove the cardamoms, cinnamon and bay leaf as well. Mix the rice and lentils in the chicken mix and cook further until this has a consistency of Pish Pash. It should be almost porridge like, you can even add another cup of lentils to make it even more mushy. You can cook this with fish as well or even meat. This can be given to babies or even those who are not well as it is a nutritious meal..... ❤











7 comments:

  1. This blog is really helpful regarding all educational knowledge I earned. It covered a great area of subject which can assist a lot of needy people. Everything mentioned here is clear and very useful.เมนู อาหาร เด็ก

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for our comment - makes me really happy to know this is useful and informative for you. I have been out of blogging for some time but will be writing lots more very soon! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I’ve been a lurker around your blog for a few months. I love this article and your entire site! Looking forward to reading more!
    long grain brown rice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it’s a nice one, I have been looking for. Thanks for sharing such informative stuff.
    non-gmo rice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this blog. That's all I can say. You most definitely have made this blog into something thats eye opening and important. You clearly know so much about the subject, you've covered so many bases. Good stuff from this part of the internet. Again, thank you for this blog.
    organic basmati brown rice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Useful information shared..I am very happy to read this article..thanks for giving us nice info.Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post.
    how to cook basmati rice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous post, you have denoted out some fantastic points, I likewise think this s a very wonderful website. I will visit again for more quality contents and also, recommend this site to all. Thanks. baby food

    ReplyDelete